When you ﬁnd a home you really like, there are some more probing questions you might want to ask. Remember, a professional home inspection will be necessary to completely answer most of these questions.
- When was the home built?
- How many owners has it had?
- How does the asking price compare to other houses in the neighborhood?
- What did the property sell for when the current owner purchased it?
- What year was it purchased in?
- What are the annual property taxes? Will the taxes increase with the transfer of deed?
- Is there a builder’s warranty on the property? What are the details of that warranty?
- Will there be additional structures built around the property that could distort the view?
- What is the level of ground maintenance that will be required?
- Are there any structural anomalies or problems with the outside area of the property?
- Are the appliances built in?
- Is there adequate insulation?
- What improvements / additions has the homeowner made to the property since purchase?
- What appliances is the seller oﬀering in the sale?
- What is the age and condition of each major system in the home (plumbing, electrical, heating & cooling)?
- What type of fuel is the home heated with?
- What is the average monthly utility costs? What are the winter and summer highs and lows?